Bergen County Board of Social Services (BCBSS)
COVID update 3/20/2020: Bergen County Board of Social Services building is closed to the public. People could apply in different ways:
- Online applications are accepted for all programs. (https://bcbss.com/)
- Paper applications could be mailed out to those who do not have a personal computer.
- There is a table set up with paper applications inside the building lobby for people to pick up and mail back for processing.
- There is currently a skeleton crew working in the building’s offices.
- They have some staff working remotely from home.
- The State has relaxed rules regarding face to face interviews, so they now interview all clients over the phone.
- There is a focus on new applications since ongoing clients are already receiving benefits.
- The State has allowed them to keep open any Emergency Assistance (Temporary Rental Assistance ) cases at least until 4/30/20 . Emergency Assistance will not be closed under the circumstances.
- The amount of new applications coming in for all of the programs has increased tremendously (no surprise with people losing businesses and jobs).
The Bergen County Board of Social Services (BCBSS), working within the guidelines of Federal & State statutes, helps individuals and families meet their basic needs so they can live in dignity and achieve their highest potential.
NJHelps is a free and easy way for you to pre-screen for programs that are available to help you and your family. NJHelps is private. NJHelps will tell you where to go for help and what to bring with you, after you have answered all the questions. To see if you may qualify click on NJ Helps.ORG.
- Food Stamps/SNAP
- Medicaid (FamilyCare)
- Medicaid (Aged/Disabled)
- Medicaid (Institutional)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- New Jersey Child Support Program
After completing the NJOneApp online application, and depending upon the program(s) you appear to be eligible to apply for, you will either be seen the same day or you will receive an appointment for a phone or an in-person interview. Please note that the number of appointments available on a daily basis is limited and are assigned on a first come first serve basis. The standard processing time for most applications is 30 days.
Services provided include:
Pre-Screening Eligibility Tool -This Pre-Screening Tool can be used to determine if you may be eligible to receive SNAP benefits. This Pre-Screening Tool is not an application for SNAP. An application for SNAP benefits must be made at the office of Bergen County Board of Social Services.
- Cash Assistance
- Emergency Assistance - EA (shelter, rent, utilities, etc.)
- Long Term Care
- Adult Protective Services
- Child Support Program
- Medical Transportation (3rd Party Provider)
- TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- General Assistance (GA)
- Homeless Hotlines
- Early Screening & Treatment
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Homeless Hotline
- Homemaker Program
- Rooming & Boarding
- Motel Placement
- Transportation Assistance
|Eligibility||Varies according to program, age and family make-up.|
Basic Needs / Assistance
Intellectual and Developmental Needs
Last Updated: 07/25/21