Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative (BVMI)/Lynn Diamond Healthcare Center
Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative (BVMI) provides free primary medical care to low-income, working Bergen County residents who do not have insurance. We have more than 75 volunteers doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, dietitians and others who provide care for 1,000 patients. BVMI provides primary, preventive, chronic and urgent care, as well as mental health support and case management services.
- Resident of Bergen County
- Adult (18+)
- Earning up to 250% of federal poverty level
- No insurance, No Medicaid
- Call 201-342-2478
- Brief telephone screening
- Virtual document review (to speed the eligibility interview)
- In-person eligibility interview (must bring required documentation)
- Medical history
- Complete physical
- Prescription and/or follow-up and/or referral
- Annual re-eligibility screening
THINGS TO KNOW
- Immigration status does not matter at BVMI
- We have bilingual staff and volunteers, as interpreting service and materials in Spanish and Korean
- Patients are seen by appointment only
- There is never a charge for services
- Our providers prescribe generic medications when possible
- We help patients apply for Medicaid and insurance on healthcare.gov
- We do not provide care for pregnant women
- We provide referrals to local hospitals and specialists for free diagnostics and further treatment
- We provide mental health care and referrals to mental health providers
- In addition to primary care we have signature programs: Diabetes Care and Education; Prevent Diabetes Program, Women's Health Initiative and Korean Healthcare Program
HOW TO GET TO BVMI
BVMI is located at the intersection of Essex and State Streets in Hackensack. It is easily accessible by public transportation.
GETTING TO BVMI BY BUS OR TRAIN
The bus stop is located on Essex Street at the intersection State Street - #712, #76, #78, #772, #780; on State Street at Sussex Street - #76, #165, #712. Plan your trip with NJ Transit.
The Spring Valley Line of New Jersey Transit train service stops at the Essex Street Station, just 0.2 miles from BVMI. Plan your trip via NJ Transit.
GETTING TO BVMI BY CAR
Metered parking is available in front of 75 Essex Street (entrance on State); there are a few additional metered spots along State Street in the municipal lot. There is no patient parking under the building, which is reserved for tenants; violators will be ticketed and/or towed by the landlord.
|Eligibility||Bergen County resident Adult (18+) Household income up to 250% of Federal Poverty Level; someone in the household must be working No health insurance (no Medicaid, Medicare, Obamacare, private pay)|
Behavioral / Mental Health
Last Updated: 08/07/23