New Jersey SHARES, Inc. is a statewide non-profit corporation providing assistance to individuals and families in need of help meeting their energy and utility burden. Through advocacy, community outreach, education, information and referral, we also connect low and moderate income households with available resources to meet their ongoing needs.
- Reside in New Jersey
- Be experiencing a financial crisis, such as a job loss or illness
- Be behind on their energy bill, or need a fuel delivery
- Have income over the limit for Federal programs such as the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and state programs such as the Universal Service Fund (USF).
- Have an income level that does not exceed 400% of the Federal Poverty Level
- Have made a good-faith payment of $100 or more within 90 days of applying for NJ SHARES (for gas and electric customers; deliverable fuel customers are excluded from this rule)
Guidelines for Seniors and the Disabled:
- Applicants 65 years of age or older, with households of one or two members, will be eligible for NJ SHARES if the maximum household income is $80,000 annually or $6,666 monthly. Proof of age is required.
- Applicants receiving Federal Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits, with households of one or two members, will be eligible for NJ SHARES if the maximum household income is $80,000 annually or $6,666 monthly. Applicants must show proof of Federal SSD benefit.
Required Documentation for NJ SHARES applications:
(Documents should be furnished to the intake agency at time of application.)
- Proof of income (last four consecutive weeks prior to application date)
- Proof of identification
- Most recent energy bill
Basic Needs / Assistance
Last Updated: 08/10/23