Cannabis on the Rise: Addressing Use in Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Early Parenting (PMCHNNJ)
Thursday, April 20, 2023
- 1:30 PM
Cannabis use has been increasing in New Jersey. It is important that nurses, physicians, social workers, lactation professionals, and all those who work with families understand how it can impact the human body and feel confident to educate families on its impact on the developing fetus and breastfeeding baby.
Health professionals must also understand how and when to report perinatal substance use. This half-day conference will give attendees the information needed to address cannabis use in the perinatal period.
- 9-10 am: Registration & Welcome
- 10-11 am: Cannabis Use/Disorder: How to Talk to Patients using Cannabis with Clement Chen, PharmD, BCPS Overview of cannabis use and how to talk to patients about cannabis use.
- 11-12 pm: Cannabis Use During the Perinatal Period with Damali Campbell Oparaji, MD & Natalie E. Roche, MD Review of reported pharmacologic benefits and harms of cannabis and presentation of current literature about cannabis use in the perinatal period.
- 12-12:30 pm: Lunch to be provided
- 12:30-1:30 pm: Substance Use Reporting and Pregnancy with Christine Rivera, MSW & Kara Vincelli Review the federal law and New Jersey's additional requirements for reporting and follow-up of substance use-affected newborns.
Family & Support Services
Behavioral / Mental Health
Last Updated: 01/30/23