Bergen County's Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program
County of Bergen received $27 million from U.S. Department of Treasury to assist low-income tenants unable to pay their rent and/or utility payments due to a financial hardship experienced during the pandemic. Tenants who have been unable to pay their rent and/or utility payments since March 2020 are encouraged to apply for funding.
- If eligible, any renter who owes rent or utility payments dating back to March 13, 2020 may receive up to 12 months of rental arrears and utility payments through this program.
- Program is first come, first serve as long as funding is available or until July 23, 2021 deadline is met.
- All payments will be directly made to Landlord and/or Utility Provider.
- June 7th: Landlords can begin registering their information and property information in the portal → https://apply.recovernj.org
- June 14th: Tenants can begin applying for funds and submitting applications
- July 23rd: Deadline for Application Submissions
To qualify for Bergen County Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance funding, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Bergen County resident primarily responsible for paying rent;
- Make less than 80% of the average median income of Bergen County (e.g., less than $78,500 for a family of four);
- Experienced a loss of income or financial burden since March 13, 2020 related to the Covid-19 pandemic;
- Provide required supporting documentation (income verification, proof of identity, proof of residency etc.)
Bergen County Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program
•ERAP Helpdesk Call Center 1-855-203-6952 Monday through Friday 9AM to 6PM
•County Social Services Directory found on www.BergenCountyCares.org
•Contact Marisa Tugultschinow, County Administration: [email protected]
Please call us for assistance or more program information beginning on June 7th at the Call Center 855-203-6952. Call Center will be open Monday through Friday 9AM to 6PM until July 23, 2021.