School Food Waste Pilot Program (Sustainable Jersey)
Friday, June 25 -
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Sustainable Jersey is inviting schools to submit an expression of interest in participating in Sustainable Jersey for Schools in a school food waste pilot program. This program consists of technical assistance in partnership with the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Food Waste Team and a $25,000 grant to purchase a composting system for the school building. Participants will be required to participate and share their experiences at the 2022 Rutgers School Food Waste Reduction Conference/Summit and the 2022 NJSBA Workshop.
The program is limited to three schools. Participants will be selected based on their capacity to implement the program as well as their Sustainable Jersey for Schools certification history. Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate buy-in and support from multiple stakeholders such as Green Team members, Principal, Superintendent/BA, Facilities Director, Food Services Director, at least one classroom educator, students, and your local county or municipal Recycling Coordinator.
In September 2019, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection released School Food Waste Guidelines for K-12 schools. The Sustainable Jersey Food Waste Pilot program will work with three schools to implement the food waste guidelines and serve as case studies for inclusion in an updated School Food Waste Toolkit produced by Sustainable Jersey and the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Food Waste Team.
The goal of the food waste pilot program is to support schools in implementing best practices for food waste. Grants will support three aspects of food waste: reduction, recovery, and recycling.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- To be eligible for the Food Waste Pilot Program, the applicant must:
- Be a participating school in the Sustainable Jersey for Schools program
- Be fully open for in-person instruction during the 2021-2022 school year
- Be a middle or intermediate school serving grades 5-8 Schools that serve a population of students that include grades 5-8
- Demonstrate capacity to cooperate and coordinate staff to implement the food waste program across multiple departments including facilities, food service, administration and educational teams.
- June 25, 2021: Deadline for receipt of letters of interest
- July 1, 2021: Invitation to select applicants to submit full applications
- July 20, 2021: Deadline for receipt of full applications
- Early August 2021: Notification of recipients
- September 2021: Program begins
Employment / Training
Family & Support Services
Behavioral / Mental Health
Crisis / Safety
Last Updated: 06/05/21